Wednesday, December 17, 2014

DIY Glitter Deer Head Silhouette

I have been seeing a lot of deer head silhouettes on Pinterest lately and it has definitely brought on the desire to try it out.  I haven't worked much with glitter, but I really loved how it turned out and it has the wheels spinning for a ballerina silhouette for the girls' room.

I already had the glitter and glue, but did need to purchase the canvas.  I waited until they went on sale at Hobby Lobby for 50% off and snagged a 12x16 sized canvas.  I printed off this deer silhouette and cut it out to trace onto the canvas.  My original plan was to paint stripes on the canvas, but in the end the stripes did not come out crisp enough so I ended up just painting the entire canvas solid blue.


Here is a list of the supplies I used for the project:
  • 12x16 canvas
  • deer head silhouette
  • DecoColor liquid gold pen
  • gold glitter
  • Mod Podge (Elmer's glue would work just as well)
  • Small paint brush (for the glue)
  • Clear enamel spray paint 
  • Paint for canvas (optional)

The picture above has blue painter's tape and a level, which was used to do the stripes that were painted over since I didn't like how they turned out.  Really sad about that because I really, really wanted to do stripes.  The paint I used was oops paint from Lowe's and it didn't have the name on it, but it was the prettiest blue and for $5.00 I had to have it!

So step one was to paint the canvas with three coats of the blue paint.  Once that was dry, I took my cut out of the deer head silhouette and traced it onto the canvas using my liquid gold marker.  Next step was to coat the inside of the outline with glue.  I did this part in sections cause I was worried the glue would dry.  I coated part of the deer head in the Mod Podge and then sprinkled with the glitter.  I let it set for about a minute and then shook off the excess onto a paper towel.  Then I would repeat the process until the silhouette was completed.  Once I was all done, I checked for any spots that needed to be touched up and then gave it a light spray of the clear gloss enamel, which helps give a little protective layer.


Both pictures (canvas and the framed Lindsay Letters printable) will be going in the downstairs bathroom on the shelf, but the lighting isn't as good in there so I placed them on the mantle just for the picture.

I am really loving how it turned out and thinking of a new place for it after Christmas because I think it is too pretty not to keep out!!!  

Check back on Friday for some of my favorite gift tags that I have been seeing on Pinterest and the blogging world!!  This weekend will be time for me to start wrapping the presents, finally, and I can't wait to use some of the printables!!  

With much love, 

Kristin 



Follow on Bloglovin

Linking up with:

Dwell Beautiful
Thrifty Decor Chick
tatertots & jello

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! All comments are moderated and might take a moment to appear.