I did have to buy a few supplies from Hobby Lobby, but I was in luck since almost everything I bought was 50% off!!! There were a couple of options for the numbers and letters, like using my silhouette to cut out the letters, or a stencil, but I decided to just buy the letters and numbers since they were 50% off. I wanted the smaller clothespins, so I picked up a bag at Hobby Lobby. The clothespins were the only thing not on sale so I used my 40% off coupon, which made them $1.75. I wanted to jazz up the clothespins a bit so I sprayed them first with white spray paint and then covered the face with washi tape, that I also picked up at Hobby Lobby. I did have to purchase the cotton muslin bags as well, which I got them off of Amazon.
Once the board was cut to size, gave it a light sanding and wiped it down. Then using some leftover gray paint (Sherwin Williams Grayish), I put three light coats on the top and sides of the board and then gave it a light sanding again. I let that dry for a few hours...actually I went to see Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1, which was AWESOME!!
Anywho, the next step was to put the glaze on top to create a little something something! I used the same glaze we used on our patio table, Rust-oleum Decorative Glaze in Java Brown. I brushed on one coat using a foam brush, and then wiped off the excess with an old t-shirt. I wanted it to look a little darker, so I applied a second coat and wiped off the excess again.
The next morning I applied the sticker letters and then moved on to the clothespins. My nerdy engineer side came out so everything would be straight as you can see in the picture below! :) I used a very small amount of wood glue to adhere the clothespins to the board.
I forgot to mention that before I put everything on the board, Jeremy put the hardware on the back to hang it on the wall. He put three of these hooks on the board. When it came time to hang the board, we put a dab of toothpaste on each one and then pressed the board to the wall so it would mark where to put our nails.
The last thing I did was to add some holly to make it a little more festive. I really wanted a silhouette of the Holy Family, but for now this was easy peasy and 50% off. I put a dab of wood glue on the holly and stuck it right on the board.
Each bag is filled with a few lines about the story of Christmas and a piece of candy for each girl. As we countdown to Christmas, the girls will have read about the birth of Jesus and the visit from the Wisemen. I found a free printable that had the story of Christmas, which I printed at home and cut out. There are tons of different options, free options, that you could fill the bags with - the ideas are endless.
Here is a picture of the Pottery Barn Kids version, which is currently on sale right now.
The Pottery Barn version is originally $149, but I was able to make mine for $15!! I did have a few supplies already, like the board and paint/glaze, but if you had to purchase those items it would still be way under the Pottery Barn version. And you can say it was made by love from you!
I hope your Christmas and Advent season is off to a great start. Jeremy and I were talking at the dinner table tonight about each of us creating a project with a silhouette of the Holy family and then letting you guys vote on the best one...hint, hint...MINE of course!! So stay tuned for our projects hopefully later this week!
With much love,
Linking up with:
Place Of My Taste