Phew…it has been a couple of crazy days around here, but the coat closet is finally finished and ready for the big reveal!!! Just like any DIY project we had a few bumps along the way, but the end result of this closet has me grinning ear to ear. I can take credit for the pretty bins and baskets, but everything else is due to my most awesome husband!
Notice those awesome bins and baskets!!! I have been eyeing the stripped canvas baskets at the bottom for about six months at The Container Store and lucky me I had a gift card so you can bet I put that baby to use!! They are the small ones for only $9.99 each and I love the rope handle.
Currently, we have toys in both baskets so the girls have some toys to play with downstairs as well, but the possibilities are endless on what we can use them for in the future. Enough about the baskets, let's get to the real beauty of this closet…the shelves and cubbies!
Originally, the closet had one shelf up top and a clothing rod underneath it…not much going on in there except extreme clutter. So Jeremy removed the clothing rod and put up bead board. From there he built a cubby system that could be used to store bins with scarves, hats, etc. We also decided to add two shelves near the bottom to hold some of our most worn shoes.
To make it look more cohesive, we added bead board to the top two cubbies as well. While we waited for the coat hooks to arrive, the bead board and shelves all got a few coats of paint. Finally the hooks arrived from Amazon. I ordered five hooks with the plan to put them inside the closet, but once we started installing them it seemed too crowded. Change of plans, we put four inside the closet and added the remaining one to the door for our coats.
We added a piece of 1x4 pine board, that we stained, all around the closet and then installed the hooks onto the board. Jeremy stained the boards using a slightly different method this time and we are both in love with the result. After sanding down the board and wiping clean, Jeremy used a pre-stain wood conditioner prior to staining (the conditioner is for soft woods and helps prevent a blotchy stain). Then applied two coats of Rust-oleum Ultimate Wood Stain in Dark Walnut using an old white t-shirt.
There were no studs in the closet, so to secure the hooks to the 1x4, we used E-Z Anchors for Drywall that holds up to 50 pounds.
Now it was time to start to using the hooks, shelves and cubbies!!! For the cubbies, I purchased four medium Kiva bins from The Container Store and are currently holding my scarves, girls' hats, and play doh. I am sure you can guess the item that seems out of place, but all the little containers fit perfectly in a bin and easy access when momma is ready for the play-doh to come out. The remaining bin is currently empty, but I am sure in due time I will find the perfect item.
Since we had an extra hook, we put it on the inside of the door to hang our coats on. During the "winter" months we plan to have our coats hanging on the hook and in our master closet for the rest of the year. Since the door is hollow, we used an E-Z Anchor for hollow doors that holds up to 40 pounds.
I put the girls' shoes on the top shelf and our shoes are on the bottom shelf. Since the lower shelves are almost 17 inches deep I can put two rows of their shoes on it, which is a definite plus since they like to have options :)
Unfortunately I don't have an exact breakdown of our spending for the closet since some of the wood and paint we had leftover from previous projects. The most expensive item from the closet is the bead board and I would say was definitely a splurge for this project. A fair estimate with the bead board, puts the cost of the lumber and hooks around $180.
To get the complete transformation of the closet lets see a before and after picture.
If you could see me now, I am grinning ear to ear over here just looking at the picture!! Hope you all have had an awesome week and remember the weekend is almost here!!!
With much love,