Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Curb Appeal: Freshly Painted Front Door

This project has been a few weeks in the making, but it is finally completed and this momma couldn't be happier!!!  I decided it was time to bring a little color to the plain old white front door.  So after narrowing the color choice to the top three and putting a few pictures on Facebook and Instagram asking for y'alls help, we narrowed it down to Sherwin Williams Rainstorm.



Look at that pretty color...just makes me grin from ear to ear!!!  I am totally crushing on my front door and so happy what a little bit of paint can do.  By the way, do you like my cute little pumpkins....my little pumpkins picked them out :)  So after doing a little researching and reading a few blogs I got all the supplies I needed and got to work.




Step one was to clean the door with soap and water.  Then I gave the door a light sanding and wiped down the door.  Since I was painting the door a darker color, I decided to put two coats of tinted primer  on first.  Originally, I thought I could use foam brushes to cut in on the trim of the panels, but it wasn't coating evenly.  I switched to 2" Purdy paint brush and it worked a charm.  For all the flat surfaces of the door I used the foam roller.  Here is a before and after of the door with two coats of primer.



Next up was the star of this door, Sherwin Williams Rainstorm.  With the darker color, I ended up putting three coats on.  For me this project took about 6 and a half hours including dry time in between coats.  I also had some extra unplanned work on the window after the tape was removed.  I peeled the tape off after the third coat was completed, but it still peeled off some of the paint with it.  After a few touch ups on the window trim and a few curses under my breath I was finally happy with the door.



Next on the list was the door handle.  We decided to just sand down the current door knob and spray paint it with Rust-oleum Metallic Aged Cooper.


I am super happy with the new color of the door knob and I think it adds a little richness to the door.  Let's look at the rest of this beauty!!



And of course a before and after!!




The doormat has definitely seen better days, so I am on a hunt for a new one.   Sooooo, what do you guys think???

With much love,

Kristin


Follow on Bloglovin I party with Remodelaholic

4 comments:

  1. Love the color! Will use in my new house. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Don't forget to sign up with Sherwin Williams to get their coupons!!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! All comments are moderated and might take a moment to appear.